Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Super foods!


So as some of you may or may not know, I'm a big Superfoods fan. What is a super food you ask? Its a simple concept that some foods are better than others for your health. The book, SuperFoods, basically presents the Fabulous Fourteen. These foods are nutritional powerhouses that can literally change your life. They are proven to help prevent aging and ward off cardiovascular disease, type II diabetes, hypertension, certain cancers, and even dementia. (Source SuperFoods book). Super foods include broccoli, oranges, spinach, pumpkin, turkey, soy, yogurt, walnuts, wild salmon, tea, beans, tomatoes, whole grains, and my personal favorite:


Blueberries!!!


I eat blueberries daily through out the year. When they're in season, I of course love them fresh. But in the off season, I just buy the big bags of frozen blueberries and eat them like candy!

Lately I've also found another super food that I'm loving:

Cherries

I've started buying a bag of frozen, dark, pitted cherries. They make for a delicious good for you snack and my super foods book recommends them as an alternative to blueberries. These babies are sweet enough to count as a dessert in my book. And to make them even better, I'll pair them with an once of dark chocolate (also good for you!)


What do ya'll think of super foods?


4 comments:

Same Sweet Girl: Memoir of a Southern Belle said...

I try to add in as many superfoods to my day as possible! I eat a lot of blueberries and sweet potatoes. I know I need to eat more broccoli but I can't stand it!! Thanks for the informative post! :)

Confessions Of A Domestic Goddess said...

I'm a huge fan of superfoods and try to eat them as often as I can! Blueberries are definitely a favorite.

xoxo!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow...for being a picky eater I liked quite a few things you listed. I will have to check out that book. xoxo

Trish {Pink Preppy Lilly Lover} said...

Woot woot! All about the super foods baby! Love them all and try to incorporate them as often as possible!! :)

Thanks so much for following along! XOXO