Thursday, April 12, 2012

Foundation Reviews

Happy Thursday ya'll! So for the last few months I have been searching like a madwoman for a new foundation. I had been using Lancome Teint Miracle for a little over a year. Original review here. While I really loved it, I had a problem with the color oxidizing after wearing it for a few hours. I tried out about 5 different primers to see if that helped the problem, but nothing was yielding results. Sad face. So here's a look at a few that I have tried lately.



1. NARS Sheer Glow Foundation. This liquid foundation bills itself as a "glowing, satin- finish foundation with sheer and buildable coverage." via Sephora. I had actually heard quite a few raves about this foundation and I have always been happy with NARS products in the past. I purchased this in the color Fiji back in January. First, let me say, I have dry skin year round. So I love liquid foundations that have a dewy finish. Usually anything with the word glow in it's name fits the bill for me. Um, this was not in any way a sheer foundation. I felt like I was wearing a mask. It was way too heavy with me and the color was way to yellow. It just didn't look natural. It was also really drying on my skin. I was really disappointed with this, but gave it a chance for a month or so. To make it a little better, I mixed it with a little of my Glo Minerals Glo Sheer Tint Base. This helped give it a little more of a dewy finish. This foundation was not worth it for me. $42.00 down the drain.

2. CoverGirl Nature Luxe liquid silk foundation. I purchased this on a whim at Target a few weeks ago. I actually really like the feel of this foundation. Very silky and creamy (hence the name). The coverage is really buildable and it doesn't feel too heavy when I apply a thin layer with my foundation brush. A little goes a long way! It has a nice scent that disappears quickly. One problem I have with it is the lack of shades. I bought shade 325 Sandstone, which is a little dark on me right now, but in a month or so after being by the pool on weekends it should match perfectly. I don't feel like it has a lot of staying power. I'm afraid to see how it will hold up in the 100+ degree temps this summer. Not a terrible drugstore purchase, but still not the answer to my foundation prayers! Cost was around $9.00

3. Garnier Skin Renew Miracle Skin Perfector B.B. Cream. So not really a foundation, but this B.B. Cream actually get's quite a few points in my book. I don't really consider this a traditional B.B. Cream, but more of a really sheer tinted moisturizer. It has been my go to for my daytime look for the last month and a half. It's really light and moisturizing, yet actually gives me decent coverage. I skip primer when using this, because a B. B. cream is more of a do it all product. Prime, cover, protect, and perfect. I don't really like using powder to set this, I think it looks better without it. I really like this product ya'll. I think it's good for those  with dry skin and decent looking skin who don't need a ton of coverage. The only problem I have with it is the lack of color choices. It comes in Light/ Medium and Medium/ Dark. I use the Light/ Medium and that matches my very medium toned skin perfectly. I think those with really light skin would find this way to dark!

So I still haven't found the perfect foundation, but I did find a good one and a nice BB cream. I also learned that when it comes to NARS products, I will just stick to the bronzers, blush, and lip products. (always a win!) The search continues. Any recommendations for me? I have a sample of Chanel Perfection Lumiere that I'm looking forward to trying, but I am already afraid that it will be too heavy. First world problems right?

Have a good afternoon!

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

Have you tried Cliniques super double matte face powder ( I think that's the full name)? I love it- it provides the coverage of foundation , but with a powder :)

Mrs Independent said...

I'm constantly on a HG foundation quest. I've been using the Garnier BB cream lately too, I just wish it was a half a shade lighter!

If you'd like, you can read my review of a few BB creams here: http://independentmrs.blogspot.com/2012/03/test-drive-tuesday-bb-creams.html

Jamie