Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Few Tips for Getting in Shape

Hey y'all! So swimsuit season is basically here in the South and it's coming quickly for the rest of the country! I thought I would share a few quick tips on getting in shape!

1. It's all about having a plan and sticking to it! I use a five day workout plan that keeps me on track with cardio and strength training. Everyone is different so find something that works for YOU. My plan is as follows:

  • Day 1: Light cardio for 25 minutes, butt, legs, and abs.
  • Day 2: Intense cardio for 20 minutes, arms, and chest
  • Day 3: Intense cardio for 20 minutes, back, and shoulders
  • Day 4: Light cardio for 25 minutes, butt, legs, and abs.
  • Optional Day 5: Wild Card day! I will do some videos from the Tone in Up Girls on YouTube or one of my Jillian Michael's DVD's. Or if my week has been super busy or I'm really tired I completely skip this day. 
Sometimes my day one is on Sunday, sometime's it's on Monday. I really just try to look at my schedule for the week and try to decide how I can fit stuff in. Also, the Hubs and I love to go on walks after dinner in the warmer months so I just consider that bonus activity. 

2. It's not just about cardio. As you can see in my plan above, I incorporate a lot of strength training in to my routine. Ladies, you have to do this! Don't be afraid of bulking up! Use a 3, 5, or 8lbs weights and you should be fine.

3. It is about what you eat. I'm sorry to tell you this, but what you are eating plays a huge role in getting in shape. You can't just eat what you want and workout a lot. Try to eat clean. That means: limit fast food and processed foods, no sodas, limit alcohol intake, incorporate more fruits, veggies, and lean proteins, and cut down on sugar!! Sweets are my downfall. I am always so tempted by them. I have found that mint green tea really helps with my sweet cravings. I also drink a ton of water throughout the day. 

4. With all of that said, don't completely deprive yourself. I would never tell anyone to not order dessert on a Saturday night or never eat pizza again. It's all about moderation. Split dessert with your friends and have a few bites of that yummy chocolate cake. As long as you're not doing it every day, it's fine! I personally would be living a sad life if I never got to have pasta. Or red wine. Or dessert.

5. Make it a lifestyle change. I hate it when I get on facebook and I see people talking about starting a diet or working out to get in shape for the beach. How about just make it part of your everyday life?! If you don't quit working out, you don't have to worry about trying to get in shape in 4 weeks for that beach trip. You already are! 

6. Be proud of your progress!! Getting in shape is something to brag about y'all! Blog about that 5K you ran, post pictures, and give yourself a pat on the back! You work hard, so enjoy the benefits!

Proud of my muscle tone! 
Sorry for the super wordy post. Pat yourself on the back if you actually read all of this. My area of concentration with my degree was nutrition education. If you ever need some help creating meal plans or just have some questions about what you're eating, email me! kaleykrug@gmail.com. I would love to help!

4 comments:

Mrs Independent said...

I vote that you start a fitness series! Maybe post your exact workouts, etc? :)

Jamie

Andrea D said...

You look fantastic! Check out those guns :P
I keep up my fitness routine year round, but I do like to step it up around swimsuit season or if I have a race coming up. You're right though being fit and healthy is a lifestyle, not a weeklong event :)

Pamela said...

wow you seriously have such an amazing body!! I go through these phases of extreme health and fitness and sometimes I just get frustrated because I do not see the results and end up slacking but I am trying my hardest right now to find a happy medium! you are an inspiration girlie!

Cal said...

I LOVE those yoga pants! Do you mind telling me where you got them??? The tiffany blue-ness is super!!

Callie

http:\\marthincowboyboots.blogspot.com\