Monday, May 16, 2011

My Top Ten Beauty Tips

Happy Monday! Hope everyone is surviving the start of the work week! I don't mind that it's Monday because I get to pick up my wedding dress this afternoon!! Yay! It has taken almost 12 weeks for it to come in so I can't wait to see it! It was custom made, so it shouldn't need any alterations. (fingers crossed!) Anyway, so today I wanted to share with you my top ten beauty tips. Enjoy!

1. Find a good skin care routine and stick with it! I am diligent about skin care. I don't care how much money you spend on makeup or how well you apply it; if your skin isn't healthy, it won't look good! First, figure out your skin type and then asses your skin's needs. Do you have dry skin and concerns about aging? Oily skin with some adult acne? Next up, visit your dermatologist, local Sephora, or anywhere you can go to get a little guidance on what products you need.

2. It's not just about products, it's about nutrition. Proper nutrition plays a huge role in maintaining great skin. Make sure your diet is full of fruits and veggies. Also make sure you are drinking plenty of water. I always add a little lemon to my water because I have heard from many people over the years that it helps keep your skin clear and aids in digestion. I also take biotin supplements, Omega-3 supplements, and probiotics. I strongly believe that these have made a huge difference in the health of my hair, skin, and nails.

3. Exercise. Get your blood flowing and you will automatically get a radiance boost. Just make sure you remove your makeup after your workout to prevent clogged pores. I'm a southern girl so yes I wear a little makeup to the gym. Don't hate!

4. Never go to bed with makeup on. This is just gross!

5. Don't spend a ton of money on face wash. It's on your skin for less than a minute. As long as it removes your makeup and daily grime, that's all you need! I love Cetaphil. It works and it's cheap!

6. Exfoliate! Whether you use a chemical or physical exfoliate, just do it on a regular basis! That being said, don't over do it. I would say no more than twice a week.

7. Try an at home mask. My favorite is to combine regular Greek yogurt and honey, smooth it on my face for 10 or 15 minutes, and then wipe off with a wet washcloth. The lactic acid exfoliates, while the honey helps moisturize. It doesn't smell the best IMHO but it totally works! I even use it on Gabe every now and then!

8. So on to hair, do a cold water rinse at the end of your shower to smooth hair down and lock in shine. Sometimes if my hair is looking dull no matter what I do, I give it a final rinse with cold, bottled water to neutralize the pH. I once read that conditioner messes with the pH balance of your hair so you should use a neutral water to take it back to normal. I don't know how true this is, but it seems to always work for me!

9. Keep up with regular trims and never let your roots get out of control. (unless you have ombre hair!)

10. Last but not least, chipped nail polish is never attractive. Try Shellac manicures or have your nails painted a light pink so chips aren't as noticeable. You just look so much more pulled together if you have neat nails.

Have a good afternoon ya'll!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Kaley! I love this! I hate chipped nails.. that is one of my pet peeves....I need a good exfoliater...what do you suggest?